Thursday, November 14, 2013

Idyll, Idol, doll, dolly, dollop, dollar...dally, daily, days, daze, daisy...from the general to the specific and back again.  Is that narrative, is that universal?

I wonder about DRY MOON, why did I write it, why did I spend so many years working to finish it and make it as good as possible...why did I care?  Why do I care?  As I have spent so much time and money (with no investment save the time and energy of my phenomenal cast and crew)--what is the point?  Riches?  Fame?  Art Film and Profit not "often found in the same sentence"...or is that "documentary".  I should be

We used to have video stores to walk into and look around--reminding us of the work in a physical realm, and before that all the archives that housed the precious negatives--silver light!  Now we peruse the links and digital language of our precious moving visual images...the films are left in the universities, in the hands of kids who never had any chance to "feel the material"--and that was true.  By actually watching the shadows and light wind through the flatbed we could feel the pacing, experience the actual timing of the cuts, even on the rewinds...even going backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment